Large families can generate a lot of trash.Â More people naturally leads to more trash; however, there are some things our family does to keep our trash at a minimum, and make the trash we do generate more manageable.
1. Recycle. If you can reuse it, do so.Â If you have a recycling program in your city, sign up.Â If there is a place you can haul recyclable things to, do it.Â This alone will reduce your trash load threefold.Â We’ve been blessed to have a recycling program in our city that includes everything from paperboard to glass to all plastics and paper.Â There’s not a whole lot left after that!
2. Compost what you can. Even if you don’t have a garden, try your hand at composting.Â Don’t try to be perfect at it, but do try it.Â You can eventually use it for everything from potting plants to using in your own garden to selling to other gardeners.Â If the whole experiment fails, it isn’t really a failure because dirt is dirt and be spread anywhere!
3. Do not buy trash cans with lids. Children have an aversion to opening lids, so trash will end up everywhere but IN the trash can.Â Save yourself the headache.
4. Buy drawstring trash bags. These do tend to be a bit more expensive, but end up being a very wise use of a few pennies more when it comes to households with children.Â Using the drawstrings to pull an overflowing bag of trash out of the trashcan,and then not having to maneuver the mess to add a twist tie or tie the flaps is priceless!
5. Keep several trash bags in the bottom of the trash can. This was a trick I learned from my days of working at a little greasy spoon restaurant.Â If you keep several trash bags in the bottom of the can, you can very quickly pull the used bag out and replace it.Â No more empty trash can sitting around for hours because no one seems to get around to putting a new bag in it!
So, how do you keep trash manageable in your home?Â Who’s in charge of taking the trash out?Â Have you ever sent your child out in pajamas to haul the overflowing outside garbage can to the curb because you heard the garbage truck pulling up in your neighborhood? *blush*
This post is linked to:
Works For Me Wednesday