Recipe adapted from 100 Days of Real Food. Lovingly nicknamed Birdseed Granola because of it’s tendency to cause your husband to exclaim, “Is this birdseed you’re feeding me?”
Birdseed Granola Bars
- 3 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces (or other nut)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (see my recipe for real vanilla!)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Prepare a rectangular pan (I like 100 Days suggestion of using parchment paper).
2. Mix steel cut oats, cashews, sunflower seeds and spices in a large mixing bowl.
3. Heat butter and honey together in a small saucepan over low heat. Once the butter melts, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
4. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.
5. Spread mixture onto prepared pan in one even layer. Bake for 75 minutes. (yes, really)
Granola becomes crisp as it cools (if you can wait that long). I break it into bar-sized pieces; however, uniformity is next to impossible.
Store in air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Love this stuff!