Many years ago, a fellow mom of many shared with me how to create a travel toothbrush holder from a hand towel. I was so thrilled, I quickly whipped up my very own and have been using it ever since.
It is perfect because you can customize how many toothbrush slots you need, it’s large enough for a large family, and it is washable!
I’ve wanted to share this easy sewing project with all of you, but kept forgetting to take photos. Recently, I decided to go ahead and make a new one that was a little larger to accommodate our growing family. Perfect time to take photos and encourage you to make your own!
I think I had 4 children when I made the green one. As you can see, the new towel I chose is much longer. Now, the green one still fits us (barely), but with a new baby on the way, I thought I might as well upgrade while I had the chance.
-1 hand towel
-1 30″ length of ribbon
1. Fold hand towel about 2/3 of the way up lengthwise and pin in place.
2. Sew along the folded edges to create a long “pocket”.
3. Fold towel in half to find center of long side and put a pin in the center to mark your place. Then, measure 1 1/2″ on either side of that center pin and pin there to mark.
4. Sew a straight line up the pocket from each of these pins to create a 3 inch center pocket to hold your toothpaste and dental floss.
5. Next, based on the size of your toothbrushes, sew more straight lines on either side of the center pocket to accommodate your toothbrushes. I’ve found that 1 1/2 inches is just about right.
6. Now you need to add a ribbon to one of the outside edges as a way to tie your toothbrush holder when it is rolled up. First, cut 30 inches of ribbon. Then, fold the ribbon in half and pin halfway up the back of the towel on the edge that seems most natural to you. (I naturally roll my toothbrush holder from the right to the left, so my ribbon is on the left hand edge.)
7. Sew ribbon in place and test drive your toothbrush holder!
Whenever we travel, we use this toothbrush holder and just throw it in my bag. Because it is a towel, it soaks up any water that may get on it being near the sink. Once home, we just pull all the toothbrushes and toothpaste out and throw it in the washer. I truly think you will love yours as much as I love mine!