1. I’m a Mary, not a Martha. We will sit and chit chat the day away. I’ll think about the dishes later. Please don’t let it bother you.
2. Occasionally there is a streaker in the house. Sorry.
3. I hate fixing my hair and I rarely wear makeup. But, if I know you are coming ahead of time, I’ll try to fix myself up a bit for you.
4. I am a deep conversations person. Small talk exhausts me. And I don’t mind hard questions, so ask away.
5. We don’t let our children play behind closed doors and we check on them frequently. It’s nothing against you or your family. It’s just how we are.
6. We are night owls. You could not possibly stay too late. However…
7. My husband might fall asleep while you are talking. Just warning you. It’s not that you are boring, he’s just so comfortable with your presence in our house that he feels at ease enough to take a nap. And don’t worry, he’ll do it at your house too.
8. Disrespectful children make me cringe, but most things don’t bother me. Actually, let me rephrase that…Disrespectful children who remain uncorrected by their parents make me cringe. Please go ahead and correct your children if they need it. It won’t bother us and it does not reflect badly on you. However, also realize it takes a lot to rattle me, so no need to stress about your child spilling their cup on the floor or the fussy little one who needs a nap.
9. My husband loves it when you ask questions about the buffalo and the photos and artifacts we have around the house. We’ve always felt like you learn so much about a person when you are actually in their home and see the items that surround them. This is his way of introducing you to us.
10. Don’t be afraid to ask me about Emily. Don’t be afraid you will make me cry and don’t be afraid you’ll say something wrong. We talk about her all the time and we welcome the opportunity to share her with you.
Now, how about a cup of coffee?