I love autumn! I love everything about it from falling leaves in amazing colors to cooler temperatures and the fun clothes they bring to all the delicious treats that signal the approaching holidays! But, I have a confession to make. I don’t like pumpkin pie. Or pumpkin spice lattes. *gasp*
I do LOVE this Pumpkin Crumble Cake! Years ago, I shared this recipe on my blog, but I thought I’d bring it back with some updated photos and a brand new tweak I tried this year and loved!
As soon as Aldi starts selling pumpkin in a can, I start stocking up! This Pumpkin Crumble Cake is perfect for fall gatherings because it is super easy to make and is a crowd-pleaser! I beat some eggs and evaporated milk, add some cinnamon, sugar, and salt, and plop in some pumpkin. I like to use my vintage Pyrex bowl that was given to me by Ty’s Granny for the mixing. It just feels right.
Now here’s the tweak I spoke of earlier! I didn’t have a boxed yellow cake mix on hand. Often I do for just this purpose (we make our regular cakes from scratch), but I didn’t have one this time. So, I made my own! And a homemade yellow cake mix is SO EASY to make! Get the recipe HERE!
It turned out so tasty, but I’ll let you see for yourself…
And I just had to put a piece onto my October patterned Franciscan Pottery! Makes me smile happy autumn smiles!
Here’s the recipe! Enjoy, my fall friends!
- 1 can (15 oz) solid pumpkin
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ c. sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 box yellow cake mix (or make your own - https://www.raisingarrows.net/2017/10/homemade-yellow-cake-mix/ )
- ½ c. chopped pecans
- 1 c. butter
- whipped topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease bottom of a 9×13? pan.
- Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. (preferably your favorite one!)
- Pour the mixture into your 9×13? pan.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture - it will completely cover the top.
- Top with pecans and drizzle melted butter over the pecans.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden and tasty!
- Cool…chill…and serve chilled (if you can, but frankly, we almost always dig in long before it is chilled!). Add a dollop whipped topping as garnish for the fun of it!