In a large family, laundry is mega-sized. The typical organization advice to do laundry once or twice a week, or even to do one load of laundry a day is laughable (and slightly maddening) to the large family mom. That’s why I put together this mega post on large family laundry solutions with systems I’ve used and systems other large family bloggers have written about on their blogs.
You can also watch my Laundry Methods video on YouTube!
Are you overwhelmed by laundry?
Laundry Systems for Large Families
1. Teaching Your Kids to Do Their Own Laundry – This is the system we currently use. It keeps me from doing all the laundry by myself. In a large family, it isn’t ALL the kids doing their own laundry, but older children assigned to do certain “groups” of laundry. Read the post, it will make more sense. ;)
2. Room-by-Room Laundry System – This is how I managed the laundry when the washer and dryer were located in the hallway. It is a good system to have in play when you don’t have the luxury of a laundry room.
3. Shelf & Basket Laundry System – This was the system we used when there were a few less children in the house and the laundry room was in the basement.
4. Individual Laundry Bags – This system uses no sorting and a pop-up laundry bag for each child.
5. A Larger Shelf & Basket System – This large family mom still uses a shelf & basket system effectively. She also mentions how having large capacity machines save her time. I agree with this (you can read about our large family washer here).
6. Large Family, Small Laundry Room – Video tour of small laundry room organization.
7. Laundry Hacks for the Large family – including color-coded laundry baskets and a community sock drawer!
8. Laundry Tubs – Really great post that gives a lot of ideas, including the use of tubs to sort. I’d also encourage you to read about her “dot system”.
9. Using the Washer as Your Hamper – This post has a lot of neat ideas for your laundry room too!
10. Large Family Laundry Tips from Huffington Post – Great list of large family laundry hacks aggregated by Huff Post.
11. Large Family Laundry at the Laundry Mat – This post is focused on how to catch up with the laundry when it has grown beyond your control, but I know there are large families who have to use the laundry mat on a regular basis.
12. Laundry as a Timer – This mom of 4 does her laundry at night and cleans while she waits on the dryer. She got the idea from another mom who does the same thing at 5 in the morning.
13. Grand Laundry Station – Tour of one large family mom’s laundry room and system.
14. Laundry Tips from a Household of 12 – This post has some good suggestions for getting it all done, including finding a place to fold that works for you and teaching all ages and abilities to put away their own laundry.
15. Video Tour of Family Closet – Stephanie from Keeper of the Home transformed the master bedroom closet into a Family Closet.
16. Detailed Laundry Routine – Every day of the week has a specific purpose for the laundry.
17. 2 Washers, 2 Dryers & a Laundry Counter – What a blessing!