If you are looking for a simple granola recipe that makes great crunchy cereal and fantastic homemade granola bars, this is it!
Not too long ago, I shared our favorite Homemade Granola Bar recipe, but I mentioned the fact that I had yet to find a granola recipe I actually liked. Well, a reader sent me her recipe (thank you!), and this past week I tried it (with a few tweaks) and LOVED it! It was definitely crunchy, and perfect for cereal and granola bars.
The recipe nearly filled a gallon plastic bag, as you can see below:
You can definitely freeze or refrigerate this recipe to use later, but it keeps really well out on the counter for a long time too!
I added a little extra cinnamon because we love cinnamon! We also added cranberries, shredded coconut, and pecans to ours because that was what I had on hand, but the possibilities are endless with this simple granola! Experiment until you find one that your kids love.
- 12 c. rolled oats (could also use quick cook)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1-2 c. chopped, dry, nutty stuff (almonds, banana chips, shredded coconut, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc)
- 1 c. oil
- 1 c. honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, heat until well combined the oil and honey.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour the liquids over the dry ingredients and stir well to incorporate thoroughly.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and pour granola onto sheets, keeping the granola shallow and easily turned with a spatula.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. (should be golden)
- Cool completely before storing.