The days are growing colder, and that means soup is on the menu more often! Taco Soup has been a favorite here for many years – in fact, so long that this large family recipe that once made more than enough for several meals is no longer able to make it past a meal and a half!
This recipe was adapted from one found at Peace Creek on the Prairie. It does make a goodly amount of soup, so we tend to make this when we have company over (and double it if we are having another large family over). I can get it to fit in my 8 quart slow cooker as is. However, it would need a roaster or second crock (who doesn’t need a second one?!) if you were to double it for a crowd.
8 quart slow cookers are hard to come by – mine came from Amazon.
This Taco Soup pairs well with cornbread or rolls (the last time we served it, we made challah bread). We also lay out extra fixin’s like corn chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro (a little yummy trick we learned from the Woods Family).
If you aren’t a large family, make the full batch, and before you set it to heat in the crock, spoon off a portion to freeze for later. Voila! Quick and easy freezer meal! Another idea that will work even if you are a large family, is to use only a partial recipe and spoon it over cornbread (rather than serving cornbread as a side) to stretch the recipe into two full meals. This would also make a great filling for Tamale Pie; however, my son hates tamale pie so it never gets served here (despite the fact I threaten him with it fairly regularly just to keep him in line).
So, now that I have your brain in Taco Soup mode, and you can’t wait to fix it for your family this week, here’s the recipe…
- 2 lbs. ground beef, browned
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 can chili beans, undrained
- 1 can Garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 large cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 10oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 cans diced green chili & tomatoes
- 2 packages Taco Seasoning (or use my homemade Taco Seasoning - https://www.raisingarrows.net/2014/07/homemade-taco-seasoning-bulk/)
- 2 packages dry Ranch dressing (or use a homemade version)
- 2 lbs. frozen corn
- Put all ingredients in a large slow cooker or roaster and cook on high 2-3 hours. Serve with cheese, sour cream, chips, salsa, & cilantro. Pairs well with cornbread or rolls. Can easily be frozen to serve later!